Canceling Recess????

Morning friends!
Let me ask you a question:  Do you have recess every day?
I was caught a little off-guard this morning when I was watching the news and heard that 23 schools in Florida were actually CANCELLING recess time in order to get more instruction in during the day.  The driving force?  Common Core.  These schools are saying they need more time to get in CCSS instruction in order to prepare kids for state tests (grr....that makes me shudder...)
Check out this quick clip:

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy


Now, I'm sure you can probably guess where I am on the recess spectrum, considering I write a blog called the "Classroom Game Nook."  On top of that I teach fitness classes and think that the childhood obesity rate in this country is scary.  No more recess means kids sitting more and being less active.

  I am a huge supporter of both learning games AND games where students are just moving, having fun, and learning to cooperate. I know I'm not the only teacher that had to have a impromptu lesson about working with others on the playground after a argument erupts over who gets to use the swings next.  In my book - that's learning too.  I like the way one parent put it: 
"At the end of the day, who cares if you have straight A's and you get a scholarship to Harvard if you're socially inept?"   
Right?  I totally agree.

I am curious as to what your thoughts are about this issue?  
How often do you have recess in your classroom?  Do you think common core should trump recess?